Getting Healthy with PCOS: Part 3


Since I began this blog series, a lot has changed.  We are now in the middle of a global pandemic.  Our daily routines came to a halt.  Gyms are closed.  Even going outside our homes is a luxury.

I decided that I was not going to let myself lose all the progress that I have made over the past several months.  In order to do that, I have tried to continue on in my healthy eating and exercise habits.

As of this week, I am down 21 pounds.  I have about 30 to go to reach my goal.  Although that often seems daunting, I try to remember when losing 20 pounds seemed impossible.  I am hoping by at least the one-year mark, I can show off my "after" picture. But in the meantime, here are some progress pictures.

January 2020
March 2020
Some ideas for maintaining healthy habits during quarantine:

1. Dehydrate fresh fruit. Trips to the grocery store are becoming scarcer, so I want to make my produce last as long as possible.  So far, we have tried our hand at dehydrating pineapple and banana.  It's a healthy snack for everyone in the family, and it allows our groceries to stretch a little longer.


2. Go for a walk/run.  The boys and I like to walk the neighborhood or even walk down to the pond.  It's good to get some fresh air, and it burns some calories in the process.

3. Do an in-home workout.  There are tons of resources out there for this.  A lot of people are sharing free workouts right now online.  YouTube has plenty of options.  I tried the 10 Minute Ab Workout // No Equipment by Pamela Reif (recommended by Jessie Van Es).  It's a killer one, but definitely works.  I also like to walk/run on the treadmill for about a mile until I get bored.  Then I do some additional workouts in our exercise room.  The only equipment I really use are some 5-pound weights (I need some 10 and 15!) and the treadmill.  There is plenty you can do with limited equipment.  Just look online for workouts with no equipment or workouts using household items.

4. Practice self-care.  Like most of you, I have been trying hard to manage my stress and anxiety during isolation.  Watching the news and hearing of the rising death toll will make anyone stressed out.  In order to keep my anxiety in check, I have to do the following things:

- Turn off the news.  It's not essential that you watch every press conference.  Read the summaries and then go on with your life.  It won't change anything!
- Listen to uplifting music.  I created a Faith Over Fear Playlist to play at home.  It helps me to keep my focus on what is truly important.
- Practice personal grooming.  Shower, slather some leave-in conditioner in your hair, get dressed in something other than pajamas.  It will make you feel better.
- Write.  Writing is my outlet.  If you are feeling like you need someone to talk to, put it on paper or type it in a document.  It's a cathartic experience to put your heart on the page.

Now more than  ever, it's critical that we take care of ourselves.  Eat healthy, exercise, and practice self-care in order to not only keep yourself healthy, but also keep your immune system up.  Right now we are living in a time of uncertainty.  Don't bog yourself down with unhealthy habits that only make you feel worse.

Comments

Popular Posts