Getting Healthy with PCOS: Part 2


After struggling with PCOS (poly-cystic ovarian syndrome) for over a decade, I decided to quit feeling sorry for myself and do something about it.  I knew one thing for sure: going on a "diet" wasn't going to cut it.  I was going to have to go all-in on a healthy lifestyle, including exercise and making good food choices.

Depriving myself never worked.  Any time I went on a diet, my blood sugar would go crazy, and I felt terrible.  The only time I felt okay is when I was eating plenty and not depriving myself.  Translation: I ate junk just to feel okay.

When I decided to adopt this healthy lifestyle, there was a transition period where I did feel terrible.  Detoxing will do that.  After a while, I noticed that I started to feel better, lighter, and more energetic.  Now, I am still a mom and spend most of my time muttering, "I'm so exhausted" to myself.  I think that just comes with the territory.  But that sluggish feeling became less and less attractive to me.

So what exactly did I do?  Well, you've heard it before.  There's no substitute for diet and exercise.  I found a trainer (who was already training my son in strength and agility training for sports) who was highly qualified to help me reach my goals.  He provides me with meal plans and small group training, along with the accountability I need to keep going.

Here's a few things I've learned along the way.

1.  Drink water.  Most of us walk around deprived of the water our bodies need to function properly.  Your body is not going to process food properly if it's not hydrated!  Cut out the sugary Starbucks drinks and sodas and choose water.  Keep water on hand throughout the day and drink, drink, drink.

2.  Feed your body with protein and healthy vegetables.  I'm not gonna lie--I'm a carbs girl.  If I focus on low-carb, I will think about all the things I can't have!  Instead, I focus on all the good stuff I can have.  I purchased an indoor grill for my chicken, steak, and fish.  I purchased lots of steam-able veggies, and I also keep squash, zucchini, and asparagus on hand to roast when I have time.  Don't focus too much on what you can't have.  Focus on getting excited about the food that gets you closer to your goals.

Instead of my usual Starbucks stop on the way to work, I pack myself a healthy snack to get my through my class, which I teach at lunchtime!  As you can see, this is plenty of food to get me through.  I am not depriving myself, just making better choices.  Previously, I would have stopped for a bacon and gouda sandwich with a tall caramel frapp.  Those days are over!  For a healthier Starbucks order, go with a tall iced coffee with almond milk, no sweetener.

I have found lots of good recipes so things don't get boring!  You can find the recipes for these Garlic Butter Chicken Bites with Lemon Asparagus here


3. Exercise.  My trainer helps me with this.  He plans a challenging full-body workout, and I have the option of going up to five days a week.  Now I rarely make it more than two or three, but I make it a priority.  I have learned to get over myself and enjoy my workouts.  When I first started, I hated seeing myself in the mirrors on the wall.  I took it on as a challenge.  I would work until I liked what I saw.  I had to get over worrying about what other people thought of me.  Would I embarrass myself?  Would I not be coordinated enough to do something?  If that sounds like you, just stop.  I can do more than I give myself credit for!  So can you!

4. Don't give up.  My progress has been moving at a snail's pace.  If you want to see a dramatic before and after reveal, you'll be waiting a while.  But my goal here is not to lose a bunch of weight just to gain it back again.  I want to be healthy for myself and for my family.  I want to live longer and suffer less with the symptoms of PCOS.  If that takes time, then oh, well.  That's fine with me!  So I'm not giving up, even though there are plenty of days I get discouraged.

Jeans don't lie!  When I was finally able to go down a size in jeans, it felt like a huge victory.  It also keep me motivated, because I know if these jeans get too tight, I need to work harder.  Don't get lazy!


The left is October 2018.  The right is October 2019!  I'm not yet where I want to be, but I'm well on my way.  And I'm not giving up.


Comments

Popular Posts