Clothed in Righteousness

I remember the day I found my wedding dress. I had already been to several bridal shops, but when I walked into this particular one, I saw the dress. I instantly knew it was the one.

When I tried it on, I couldn't help but appreciate how well it fit and how smooth the fabric felt beneath my fingers. I felt beautiful and excited--ready to wear it for my groom.

I delight greatly in the Lord ; my soul rejoices in my God. For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of his righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.
Isaiah 61:10 NIV

As the Bride of Christ, we are given a bridal garment by our Bridegroom. He provides us with robes of righteousness. These robes are a gift and cannot be earned.

Since they did not know the righteousness of God and sought to establish their own, they did not submit to God’s righteousness.
Romans 10:3 NIV

The Bible says our righteousness is as filthy rags. No matter how hard we work on our own, they cannot be bleached white. We must put on His righteousness, like a beautiful bridal garment.

All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away.
Isaiah 64:6 NIV

Living a righteous life still matters, but if we are able to do so, it's not because of our own power. It is through His power that we are made pure and holy.

Comments

Popular Posts